Wednesday, October 15, 2014

A Toast To The Six Week Spec Writers

Today marks the end of Geoff LaTulippe's Six Week Spec Challenge. I was one of many screenwriters fixed on celebrating the completion of a first draft in six weeks alongside his Selected Ten. Perhaps, after two or three evening bourbons, I would have even felt ballsy enough to upload the draft to The Black List's website for feedback, as well. Unfortunately for me, all possible outcomes must be left to my imagination, as my script never left the notepad stage. I could easily blame lack of preparation, time, and a general understanding of just how daunting the task would feel for my first attempt at a feature length film. If I'm being honest, I let my self-doubt win versus powering through my writing obstacles, subsequently allowing my unselected status to lessen the pressure of the deadline.

Despite the disappointment for not accomplishing my goal in the specified timeframe, during these six weeks I have developed a greater respect for the craft and a greater level of excitement for what was once a hobby and is now my desired career. Being able to call this type of writing, "work," makes me happier than a sprinkle on a cupcake. Therein lies the key: if this is indeed my job, I need to treat it as such; self-imposed deadline or not.

Alas, the mental switch from writing when I can to fully considering myself back at work, (after almost a decade home with the kids), came too late within the six weeks to make a proper run at finishing on time. The story needed work, with certain holes requiring more research before a vomit draft could properly commence. Accompanying the remorse, I take with me the knowledge that I can and will finish this spec with a little more time, and it will be all the better for it.

To my fellow Six Week Spec writers, whether you have met your goals or have graciously bowed out, I raise my glass to you. I'm proud to have been a small part of the experience and wish you all bright successes with your screenplays. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment