Saturday, June 21, 2014

From Breaking Bad to Enlisted

Inspiration for me as a newbie writer has come from many sources; family, relationships and personal experiences to name an obvious few. Lately, I've been fueled more by watching greatness from others. Their works capturing my mind and tweaking it just so, allowing the creativity to run fast and free as a twisting fork aids the juicing of a stingy lime.

*clearing throat* 


You know what, skip the lime bit. I went and got fancy, but I have something to say and distracting myself with sudden margarita desires does nothing for my productivity. I'd like to also state my awareness of imminently coming across as a needy fangirl looking for love and approval from those I wish to refer to as peers at some point in the future. Deem it butt-smooching if you will, t'is not my intent.


As mentioned in my earlier post, binge-watching AMC's Breaking Bad catapulted me back into desperately wanting to write my own screenplays. My current goals may not lie in the realm of television, but this show has changed me without question. The way the characters were written with such honesty and humanity and the level of severe awesomeness they were portrayed with by the cast, at times left me as weepy and emotional as the gut-wrenching episodes did throughout the series. Superb through and through, and though I wish it wasn't over, its story arc is complete.


Speaking of complete arcs, there's another series that has been weighing heavily on my mind, which unlike Breaking Bad; a) I've been watching since its premiere, and b) as of this post will not have a chance to see its story through to its conclusion: Fox's Enlisted. Enlisted's final episode airs this Sunday, June 22nd at 7/6c, as Fox has decided to not pick it up for a second season. Quite simply, between the delivery of the dialogue, the timing and choices in the editing and the terrific cast, this show is the epitome of my sense of humor and has quickly become my favorite comedy. I certainly was not expecting it to be cancelled. Television shows that provoke loud, obnoxious laughter and tears from touching moments are meant to stay and play for a while. I am a sad lass.


Why do I bring up these two particular series? They are far from similar and pitting them against each other would be absurd. Yet, as polar opposites as they are, they have both inspired me in their own  ways; and I don't consider one more important than the other. Breaking Bad reminded me, with the force of a cast iron skillet to the head, how much I want to not just write, but to strive for excellence. Enlisted has allowed me to fully embrace my inner goofball and write, with gusto, that which makes me laugh my unladylike guffaw, not what I think the masses will find amusing. If I'm going to do something well, it has to be done for me. 


Vince Gilligan and Kevin Biegel's series have helped solidify what it is I want to do with my life, if given the opportunity to have one outside of my present mommy/homemaker role. In no way do I suggest any of my final works will resemble either of these shows' subject matter or hold a candle to their greatness, but I thank the writers of both series for raising the bar for what I am now aiming.

On a side note, if my bringing attention to Enlisted's final airing remotely helps it gain enough viewership to perhaps find another home, sweet biscuits, wouldn't that just delight me to no end. Arrested Development found another home, just saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment